Fundamentals of Inquiry Course for Teachers of Mindfulness
To book this course, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the booking link.
Tutors: Fay Adams
Dates: 23rd March, 6th April, 20th April and 4th May 2023
Times: 19.00-20:15pm on a Thursday evening
Location: Online via Zoom
‘Do you ever try to solve a sunset?’ Kelly Wilson
Would you like to become more confident and skilled at inquiry?
Inquiry is the area of teaching that mindfulness teachers are most concerned about. Inquiry can sometimes feel tricky and uncomfortable! During this course, we’ll be establishing a toolkit for you to turn to during inquiry, especially for those occasional challenging moments.
This course will enhance inquiry skills by:
- Clarifying our understanding of the process of inquiry
- Practising trust of the process and inner compass
Inquiry asks a lot of us, but as we learn and practise,
we’ll discover that we have what it takes.
Our embodiment of presence is itself the facilitator of the wisdom,
kindness and delicacy needed to navigate inquiry-based dialogue.
We will cover topics and difficulties commonly experienced by teachers of mindfulness including:
- struggling with wanting to fix a participant
- moving too quickly to teaching points
- containing the inquiry and keeping it on track
- responding to emotional expression
- knowing when to deepen the enquiry and when to leave space
- awareness of ‘triggering’ and how it might manifest
- balancing an individual inquiry whilst taking care of the group as a whole.
Throughout the course we will be working together as a group as well as working within smaller peer groups. We will address the concerns raised around inquiry through a mix of inner exploration, contemplative and instructive teachings, discussion and shared experience.
We will explore how we are with ‘trusting emergence’ and letting go of expertise in favour of meeting the moment with bare attention.
We will reflect on how it is to compassionately witness another and find ways to stay at home, and grounded, within our body/heart. Most of all we will enjoy the wonder of being part of each other’s moments of insight, as we explore the power of inquiry together.
Past participant comments:
‘Thank you for a wonderful course. The content and exercises were excellent…I do feel I’m much more confident in facilitating inquiry because of the course.’ Katherine Michaelis
‘I have found it really stimulating and enriching, of my practice, teaching and intellectually. Top CPD!’ Alison Gear
‘The structure of the course was fantastic – and the mix between all elements right down to the summary question at the end made it such a huge learning experience. The peer sessions were also invaluable.’ Anonymous
This course will be composed of:
- 4 bi-weekly online meetings as a group facilitated by Fay Adams (75 minutes each)
- Short video contemplations (20-30 mins) on embodiment of the following as an enquirer: Deep Listening, Not Knowing, Appreciation of Essential Goodness, Authenticity, Compassionate Mess, Curiosity
- 4 peer meetings online in groups of three (1 hour each)
- A short reflective written piece to be submitted (1 page)
- Weekly reflection questions and journaling
‘…inquiry is a dynamic engagement that needs to be open and open-ended, minute to minute, instant to instant.’ A. H. Almaas
This course is a pre-requisite for those who wish to train to teach the Compassion Based Living Course (CBLC). It is also a stand-alone CPD course for mindfulness/compassion teachers at all stages.
For more on the power of inquiry check out Fay’s inquiry blog HERE
A certificate of completion will be given at the end of the course. This course counts as Continuing Professional Development (CPD).